Busuu (Spain and UK, 2010-2014)
What they said
“An outstanding professional and a fantastic person to work with. [Her] copywriting skills, SEO knowledge and fresh ideas boosted our communications. She knew the company well and what we wanted to achieve, and always had a valid input.”
Busuu is a global online community for learning languages, whose 50 million users can learn directly from native speakers around the world. The company offers free and premium paid-for access both online and via apps to audio-visual courses for 12 languages.
I started using busuu.com for my own language learning in 2010 and noticed areas for improvement in terms of the community’s English-language communications. At the time, Busuu was still a start-up company based in Madrid and I contacted founder Bernhard Niesner.
My work with Busuu grew and evolved as the business itself did the same, and we continued working together even as Busuu made its move from Spain to London’s tech hub. I stopped writing for Busuu in 2014, when I went on maternity leave.
What I did
- Edited and wrote online content such as blog posts, newsletters, other emails and web copy, and offline materials including press releases.
- Set up documents such as briefing and content templates, and the editorial calendar (which was then developed and adapted by the newly created content team).
- Joined the company’s content meetings via Skype to take part in the planning process and contribute ideas for upcoming months.
- Provided guidance for writing for the web for internal contributors who worked in other, non-content teams.
- Contributed to busuu becoming one of the top language-learning blogs.
Contact me to find out more about how I worked with busuu or to talk about working together.