Fix-It Friday is a new series of posts where I show how a website page can be improved by applying a few web copywriting principles. My primary aim is to make visitors’ lives easier.
Within just an hour, it’s possible to make a page more readable, accessible and search friendly. I also explain what else I’d do if I had more time. Look at the difference a web copywriter can make!
Dulas provides professional renewable energy services from its base in the heart of Wales. I like its website; the design’s fresh, modern and uncluttered, with clear navigation.
I’ve decided to look at the ‘About Dulas’ page from a web copywriting perspective.
- Web page before (image)
- Good points
- Could do better
- Web page after (image)
- Fixes made in one hour
- If I had more than an hour, I’d…
Web page before
- Individual <title> and <description> tags for each page
- Use of H1 tag for page heading
- Well written, interesting information
- Sub titles used to break the text up
Could do better
- There’s too much information: the page is very long
- The text is wordy in places and there are a couple of errors
- Copy needs better formatting
- The sub titles are in <strong> tags; they’d be better in H2 headers
- Text contains no links to other pages within the website or externally
- The page URL is not descriptive
- The <description> tag needs a bit of tweaking
Web page after
Fixes made in one hour
- Lightly edited the copy to simplify wording and ‘front load’ the text
- Removed some information that could sit better elsewhere
- Placed current sub titles into H2 header tags
- Added additional sub titles to break up text further
- Added links from key phrases to relevant pages both within the website and externally
- Highlighted other key words and phrases in <strong> tags
- Placed listed information into proper lists
If I had more than an hour, I’d…
- Edit or rewrite the text to simplify it, focus the information and reduce page length considerably…
- …and/or add in-page links at the top of the page to jump to relevant sections (visitors can see straight away the page content without scrolling, plus the usual benefits)
- Rewrite the <description> tag
- Add more links from the text to help users navigate throughout the website
- Consider the page and its section as a whole, and as an integral part of the complete website
Do you want me to make over a page on your website? If you’d like to suggest a site for me to consider, get in touch!